Comment, Like, & Favorite
Wyoming County Courthouse
Photograph - Infrared-film
Here in Northeastern Pennsylvania the name honoring the Wyoming Valley is derived from Indian words meaning "Extensive Meadows". The courthouse was built around 1842 for approximately $5000.00. The 2nd story was used as the courtroom while public offices and jury rooms were on the first floor. The jail which had four cells for prisoners was in the rear basement and the jailer or sheriff had his residence in a brick superstructure. It was first occupied as a prison in 1844.The 1843 courthouse, serving the County Seat of Tunkhannock, earned an extensive remodel in 1869. Constructed of brick, covered in stucco, the renovation came close to a totally new building. Completed in 1870, the three story addition nearly doubled in cost with overruns and add-ons, totaling 24,880 dollars.
The last hanging in Wyoming County took place in late May of 1893. Two men found guilty of robbery and murder were sentenced to death by hanging. Trains arriving in Tunkhannock that morning were full, as were the bars and stores were holding special sales.
November 26th, 2012
Viewed 215 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 11/23/2014 at 6:17 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview