Fine Art America - Art - Prints - Canvas Prints - Framed Prints - Metal Prints - Acrylic Prints

Every purchase includes a money-back guarantee.








Fine Art Discussions

Keyword Search  | Main Menu

Search Discussions


Digital Art Or Photography

Posted by: Judy Kay on 01/31/2013 - 9:08 AM

Just a question...I took a photo of one of my paintings and used photographic techniques to change the appearance ...Is this considered digital art, or photography when you select a category when uploading to FAA? A computer was not used at all in the modification!


Oldest Reply

Posted by: Roy Erickson on 01/31/2013 - 9:13 AM

Me thinks this is digital art. It is no longer a plain photograph of your work. you materially changed the look - digitally - whether using the camera or the computer. BWDIK


Posted by: Mike Savad on 01/31/2013 - 9:18 AM

no it wouldn't. it's just basic editing. but it depends what you did with it. since seem to imply that you did it in the camera, then you couldn't do much with it. if it's a painting, then it should be in the painting category. digital art is where you paint with graphics or create something that is only in binary form.

---Mike Savad


Posted by: H Drew on 01/31/2013 - 9:29 AM

Judy, Camera filters have been used many years to bring an image close to what the eye filters. if your editing does that, you are not changing the "advertised" product. if it changes the natural appearance, then simply label it digitally enhance, altered, colored, manipulated or whatever.


Posted by: Ginny Schmidt on 01/31/2013 - 9:45 AM

IMHO if you change camera settings to affect the output, it is still a photograph albeit with applied effects. One watercolor of mine of a little chapel is presented as close to the painting as I could make it, but it still required cleaning up, correcting for camera distortion and some color correction that came thru because of the lighting when the picture was taken - I simply call that a watercolor painting. If I photograph my own traditional artwork and edit it on the computer, I call it my own artwork and say it is digitally enhanced, as is my flying horse, which was created with pastels to look very like the small Chinese bronze statue, down to its blue patina. The blue version is in my Redbubble portfolio where I call it a pastel drawing, but when I posted it on FAA I altered the color to reflect a bronze coloring as it may have looked when it was new a couple or a few thousand years ago - here it is, obviously enhanced - but it is still my drawing, and even with photo editing, it is still my creation.

Art Prints Photography Prints


Posted by: Charles Kozierok on 01/31/2013 - 9:54 AM

Every painting that is sold on this site is a print of a photograph of that painting. If what you're doing is a "photograph", then that means every print ever sold on this site could also be called a "photograph".

Doesn't matter what you call it. Just be clear about what it is. You don't have to stick to conventional categories, I don't believe.


Posted by: Andrew Pacheco on 01/31/2013 - 10:09 AM

It's really a matter of choice as to how you want to present your work and what you want to disclose. Call it whatever you feel good about calling it.

Also, keep in mind that a camera doesn't see anything the way your eye sees it in real time. Even analog cameras don't produce exactly what the scene looks like to the human eye.


Posted by: Judy Kay on 01/31/2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks everyone for the info...I hope to do a little more of this in the future...I dont use filters...or the it was a little fuzzy to me how it should be categorized


Posted by: Tony Murray on 01/31/2013 - 11:10 AM

Technically, if you did not use film then it is digital. About 98% of all photography today is digital. You might still be able to choose more than 1 category.


This discussion is closed.